Topic: Top Story

South Africa’s Equality Court Postpones ANCYL’s Julius Malema Hate Speech Case

Image Not Available

By Own Correspondents – The South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg postponed proceedings in the hate speech case of AfriForum against Julius Malema and the ANC to 1 November 2010, in order to provide the parties with an opportunity for mediation. This means that AfriForum, the ANC and Julius Malema will be given six weeks in which to find manners in which a mutually acceptable settlement can be reached. If the mediation were not to succeed, the case will probably be heard in January 2011. The legal representative of AfriForum, Willie Spies, mentioned in his response that AfriForum will cooperate... Continue Reading

Senegal sentences 7 Koranic teachers over children begging

Image Not Available

By Nangayi Guyson in Kampala Uganda – The Senegalese authority  have sentenced Seven Koranic  teachers to jail  after they were found guilty of forcing children to beg.Up to 50,000 children are being exploited by their teachers in Koranic schools in Senegal The accused, six Senegalese and one from Guinea-Bissau, were also fined 100 000 francs in what Human Rights Watch (HRW) said was the first ever application of a 2005 law outlawing the practice.’Mass trafficking A tougher sentence may have been expected but Wednesday’s ruling is symbolic. During the trial defence lawyers pleaded for leniency, arguing that according to tradition,... Continue Reading

* Zimbabwe’s president says prepared to talk to U.S. and EU

Image Not Available

* Zimbabwean control of mines, other resources remains aim – By Cris Chinaka – HARARE, Sept 9 (Reuters) – Zimbabwe wants normal ties with Western powers critical of its policies but will press ahead with a plan to hand control of foreign companies to local blacks, President Robert Mugabe said. Mugabe told Reuters in an interview on Thursday that his government was waiting for positive movement from the United States and European Union to mend ties soured over the last decade by rows over the seizures of white-owned farms for landless blacks and charges of rights abuses and election fraud.... Continue Reading

UN ‘failed’ DR Congo rape victims

Image Not Available

BY NANGAYI GUYSON – A UN official  Atul Khare told the Security Council that the scale of systematic rape by armed rebels was far worse than feared and  UN “failed” the victims of mass rape in eastern DR Congo. Atul Khare “Our actions were not adequate, resulting in acceptable brutalisation of the population of the villages in the area. We must do better.” Night patrols . Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play. He said that up to 500 women and children were now believed raped in recent weeks – more than double the previously reported figure. He... Continue Reading

UN Secretary Ban in Rwanda amidst DRC report row

Image Not Available

Rwanda’s President Kagame BY NANGAYI GUYSON – KIGALI (AFP) – General Ban Ki-moon is in Rwanda over a major dispute leaked to UN report on war crimes allegedly committed by Rwanda in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Rwanda’s President Kagame UN report accused Rwandan troops and their allies of staging genocide style massacres of civilians in DR Congo in 1996-97 but Rwanda denies the allegations has threatened to pull its troops out of international peacekeeping missions. A spokesman at the United Nations headquarters said Ban had arrived in the Rwandan capital for the unannounced visit and would hold talks with... Continue Reading